Re: how to update bibtex file

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:33:55 -0400

MacKenzie Smith wrote:
> M.A.Wermelinger wrote:
>> What I see missing from Citeline is step 4, a button that says 'update
>> your exhbit with new data' instead of just a button to create a new
>> exhibit from scratch, having to go through all the configuration in step
>> 2 again. My whole point was that if Citeline implemented step 5, it
>> would become much more frequently used.
>>
> Ah, but that exists. At least it does for me when I use Zotero and
> select the 'export to Citeline'
> option (from the SIMILE Zotz add-on). When I sign in to Citeline with a
> new bibtex file I get a
> screen that says:
>
> "elect which one of your exhibits will be populated with this newly
> submitted data (while all the configurations and layout settings will
> remain the same):
>
> MacKenzie's Bibliography [Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:34:13 PM]
>
> Or create a new one from scratch (starting from default configurations
> and layout settings):
>
> New Exhibit
>
> So I just select the first option and off I go. I gather you're not
> seeing that option...
>
> To try that, you would have to install Zotero (it's a Firefox add-on
> that provide citation management like Endnote, see
> http://www.zotero.org/). If you have Zotero installed, then you can also
> install our add-on called 'Zotz' which lets you
> export your citations directly into Citeline. Note that you have to be
> signed in to Citeline first in order for it to figure
> out that you have an existing template.
>
> I haven't tested this with Endnote since I don't use that product, but I
> think it will work similarly...

No, the "update data but keep configurations" option is only available
(for now) when you upload data with Zotero and if you were already
logged into Citeline. It would be relatively simple to add it also when
you upload data by hand (granted, only when you're logged in, though),
but we haven't done it yet.

Digital Libraries Research Group                 Research Scientist
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
E25-131, 77 Massachusetts Ave               skype: stefanomazzocchi
Cambridge, MA  02139-4307, USA         email: stefanom at mit . edu