[Fwd: Re: Citeline]

From: David R Karger <karger_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:04:52 -0400

attached mail follows:

At 2008-09-28 14:19, you wrote:

That's great! Any feedback? Things that went hard, or that you wish
you could do and couldn't?

Well, you asked :-)

(1) I hand-generated the BibTeX code, so naturally I ran into lots of
syntax errors. Which wasn't too bad when it gave me an error message
with line number. But about half the time it crashed instead --- although
the line number could still be dug out of the error information with
a bit more effort. Would be nice if it was a bit more robust.

(2) A pointer on the Citeline web site to a quick BibTeX tutorial or
syntax description might be helpful (maybe the Wikipedia entry?)
for those of us who do not use BiBTeX on a regular basis.

(3) It wasn't clear what the "sign in and claim your exhibit" feature did ---
I just clicked "download" to retrieve the HTML.

(4) At least in the "Dark" Style, it seemed to have problem with
the browser "back" key. For example, after selecting some subset
of papers, say just conference papers, or papers from 1991, it would
get confused and either show a "busy" icon forever or reset everything
to start from scratch. Maybe it needs to use a cookie to keep track
of the previous state?

(5) In my original listing http://people.csail.mit.edu/bkph/selected.shtml
I like to make the anchor for the PDF files be the title of the paper so
you can just click on that rather than have a separate [link]

(6) It would also be useful if there was a mechanism to add arbitrary
informative text (such as "submitted for publication" "see the other
paper instead" "for corrections of this paper see ..." and so on) after
the entry --- maybe using something like note = "blah blah", in
the BibTeX code.

Thanks, Berthold.

--
Berthold K.P. Horn