Re: problems with UTF-encoding of acents

From: MacKenzie Smith <kenzie_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:34:04 -0400

Hi Eric,
> I have tried Citeline a little, and it's very impressive; thanks!
You're welcome, and thanks for trying it!
> I ran into problems when submitting a bibtex file that contains UTF-8
> encoded accents in peoples' names. Accented characters are displayed
> as "??" characters, as in for example
>
> http://citeline.mit.edu/25d6752f18172319f479bd2152548b311e7924ef/
>
> Is this a known problem?
Yes. Since BibTeX doesn't officially support UTF-8 we've tried to
support it but it's tricky. I just added to the FAQ what we're doing now
(see http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Citeline_FAQ ) and we'll try to find
some time to work on this problem in the next couple of months...
and keep in mind that this is an open source project so if you have
programming resources available to work on this we'd love the help!

Best,

MacKenzie

--
MacKenzie Smith