Re: Display requirements - style vs. template oriented language

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:17:16 -0400

Chris Bizer wrote:

> So what are our next steps?

I would like to hear Ryan's comments on this, and maybe even Damian's
and anybody else who is interested in this.

> Should we keep on collecting requirements?

I was thinking the other night that even if not editable, the
"dynamicity" of the presentation layer might be out of scope, but very
important from a usability point of view.

For example: say I consider some properties primary and some others
secondary and I would like to present them in a "click and show/click
and hide" way (this is the usability model, the actual presentation is
another concern), where does this fit?

CSS decided not to have intrinsic scriptability, but it makes it very
hard, for example, to create reusable DHTML widgets.

Both microsoft and nescape have their own way of doing the "bindings" so
that you can make things a little more portable, but I'm wondering if we
should go that far or if we should just add priority information to our
metadata and just let the presentation system figure out how to show it
*and* what usage model to use.

Thoughts?

> Or are we already in the stage of joining/reformulating our drafts?

I don't think we are there yet.