MIT EECS meeting for MEng students seeking thesis topics

From: Stephen J. Garland <garland_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:57:34 -0400

Dear Eric,

     Here's the announcement of the meeting for MEng students that I
mentioned yesterday on the phone. I think it would be good to have a
Simile presence there. At the very least, it will let students know we
exist. More importantly, we might find one or more students to work on
issues related to Simile (with or without our needing to support them
financially). I propose sending the following RSVP to the meeting
organizer. Let me know what you think.

     Steve

Project Title: SIMILE (Semantic Interoperability of Metadata and
Information in unLike Environments)

Area of Research: The Semantic Web

it easier for users of digital libraries to locate diverse kinds of
resources (e.g., books, articles, photographs) in archives indexed by
differing schemata and metadata. Research topics include (1) tools for
gathering metadta from digital library repositories and converting it
into usable RDF representations, (2) scalable techniques for browsing
large datasets, and (3) integration of Simile tools into DSpace
(http://dspace.mit.edu).

attached mail follows:

Dear Faculty Member/Research Scientist:

There are 150 EECS seniors looking for thesis (Advanced Project/MEng) projects
right now. If you:

    1) have any suitable Advanced Project/MEng project(s), and
    2) are looking for EECS students to work on these projects,

then you are invited to a Mocktail Networking Event on Tuesday,
Oct 5, 2004, from 4-6pm, in 34-401. This event is designed to
1) help students learn to network, and 2) match supervisors
looking for student help, with students searching for a project.

Please consider making offers or making appointments
with potential student candidates for followup interviews.
(You may also find it helpful to bring business cards.)

RSVP to tleng_at_mit.edu by September 30th, and indicate if you want EE
or CS students or both. Optionally, include: a project title (1
line), area of research (1 line) and a brief description of what you'd
like the student to do (5 lines) -- a URL is fine. You may submit
several; they will all be made available to the students before the
event.

Feel free to forward this to other faculty/PIs who may be looking for
students.

Refreshments will be offered.

Regards,
Tony

Tony Eng
Lecturer
MIT Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
CSAIL 32-G482
tleng_at_mit.edu