Re: ajax?

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:53:31 +0100

David R. Karger wrote:
> This article mentions some of the nicest UIs I have seen one the web. Perhaps
> worth investigating this framework for piggy bank, haystack, etc.
>
> http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php

Yes, now that even Safari implemented the XMLHttpRequest javascript object

[see http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html]

it's possible to fully make use of such asynchronous XML and be
virtually cross platform.

I company I did consulting for implemented something like this in 2000
but using Flash 5, XML-RPC and a cocoon-based backend for the italian
web site of Virgin Music.

Google uses this pure xhtml+css+javascript+xmlhttp+xml while things like
Mappy use Flash+activescript+xml (see mappy.com waaaay better than
google maps, but much less 'standard' technologies and less use of the
http caching/proxying infrastructure)

Ryan and I already thought about using this 'xml callback' approach to
populate the facet boxes on the side, as a way to avoid downloading
several megabytes for the first page.

In short, if the facet values were too many, show a query box, then
populate the query box with the result, but without refreshing the
page... it's really trivial to do today.