RE: Questions, Relevance

From: David Provost <dprovost_at_sloan.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:23:28 -0500

MacKenzie -

This is a great reply and I appreciate the time it must have taken. My
thoughts:

1. I agree that many general_at_simile subscribers may not know much about
DSpace. However, those that do might have some very interesting insights in
response to my original post. Your response is an excellent example.
Additionally, being aware of DSpace might serve as a helpful example for
development, adoption, and transition to a new environment. On this point
though, I must admit that I'm only speculating.

2. A review of the DSpace Web site will quickly substantiate its adoption
worldwide and notably, at many elite institutions. This is good company to
keep. I don't know where the members of the Simile and DSpace communities
reside, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the members of each are
located in the same institutions. Presumably, this would facilitate
collaboration within the institution, with the benefits ultimately accruing
to the community at large.

3. I believe that the capture, management, distribution and preservation of
digital research material is a critical issue at all institutions, public or
private, small or large. In my opinion, no single approach will address the
myriad needs of any institution, so I'm trying to understand the
distinctions between DSpace, Simile, federated database environments, and
then effectively querying across federated environments.

4. In the future, I will post these kinds of questions to dspace-devel
and/or general_at_simile, which explains the cc in this message.

Thanks again for your reply.

David