Re: Piggy Bank and rules

From: David R. Karger <karger_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:47:40 -0400

   Mailing-List: contact general-help_at_simile.mit.edu; run by ezmlm
   From: "Phil Archer" <phil.archer_at_icra.org>
   Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:27:00 +0100

>> Not really - the RDF data is always hosted on the site
>> itself, not on our server. We expect to make available a
>> "manifest" (an RDF dump) of sites on which the accuracy of
>> the label has been verified but it is unlikely that we would
>> have the resources to operate a live database that could be
>> interrogated on the fly by an unlimited number of clients.
>>

> I think it would be useful to take an inverse approach.
>
> 1. Allow access to only those sites that are present in the ICRA
> manifest.(one can modify PB to do the checking)
>
> 2. Periodically, PB will contact ICRA to obtain an update (much like virus
> definitions for antivirus)
>
> Some might see (1) as too restrictive, but presumably this is to protect
> kids from online predators and whatnots, better safe than sorry.

   The idea is that the person who creates the content is the best person to
   describe it. The ICRA manifest would be a subset of labelled sites, i.e.
   those that have asked (and perhaps paid) us to review their label and which
   we are happy to say "yes, we believe the label to be accurate." The manifest
   can then be downloaded by clients periodically so that they can see that
   "someone has had a look and agrees with the label."

   The manifest won't include any labels (descriptions), just an assertion that
   the labels on the site can probably be trusted. The subtle differences are
   important in distinguishing between parental choice and censorship which
   ICRA is as opposed to as everyone else. If the manifest is whole story then
   there's no difference between what we do and what the commercial filtering
   companies do.

instead of distributing a manifest, just sign the sites' labels with
an expiring certificate. then users can pull the info they need
directly from the site they are visiting.