Re: Considerations on RDF presentation

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:17:27 -0400

Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:
> Back to the discussion about the intermediate tree representation. There
> has been a few rough draft proposals, and I'm trying to propose
> something based on this.
>
> First, the requirements:
> a) the tree should be mainstream XML, so as to be easy to process with
> XML/tree-world tools (XSLT, template languages, CSS,...)
>
> b) the tree should contain information about what each element
> represents (e.g. a property label, a property value,...) as this
> information is important for the styling phase
>
> c) Chris would like to be able to express RDF-ish styling rules on this
> tree, such as "color in red all foaf:Person instances that have a
> foaf:surname equal to 'Smith'". Depending on whether foaf:surname was
> selected by the lens as a property to show or not, this information
> might or might not be present in the tree. The absence of foaf:surname
> info in the tree should not prevent us from expressing conditions such
> as the one above. Besides, it should still be possible (but not
> necessary) to express these conditions from an RDF model/graph perspective.

I'll jump in here, realizing some of these points were covered later.

I had started writing something similar and would add the following:

- Contains the URIs of non-bNode resources - lack of a URI indicates
that it is a bNode (Chris mentioned this)

- Does not reference other parts of the tree so the entire tree is
represented

- Includes rdf:type URI used in determining that branch of the tree, if
type was how it was done

- Strictly user-definable class names (class='baz') - don't use the
class attribute (or whatever it would ultimately be called) for any of
our purposes

- Every part of the tree has a human-readable label

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327