isPartOf inferencing, was Longwell display of RDF...

From: Jon Crump <jjcrump_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:17:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Ryan Lee wrote:

> Jon Crump wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply; as I read it, I realized I had stated the question
>> incorrectly, though your answer was nonetheless relevant. For the purposes
>> of clarification, however, let me restate:
>
> Ah, that's what I thought you might have meant...
>
> [snip]
>
> Record_A needs an explicit dc:location statement.

Ryan, thanks so much for your rapid response. I suspected that this was
the case.

> Inferencing can be a very powerful addition to your toolkit for handling RDF.
> I am personally most familiar with cwm.

I was under the impression that longwell performed some kind of
inferencing; if not this kind then what? (It's particularly interesting to
me that when I let longwell loose on a set of rdf files, it tells me there
are x number of statements in the resultant model before inferencing and
x+ statements after. It would be extremely instructive if I could see what
those additional statements were).

If I constructed some separate ontology in skos or owl or something like
that that defined rules for such implications or entailment, would
longwell then be able to display them in the facets I've established, or
do I need a completely separate tool (cwm?) to explore and display these
kinds of relationships?

Can cwm aggregate rdf models, make inferences, enforce entailment and then
produce a new composite model out the other end which longwell could then
browse?

Again, many thanks
Jon
J.J. Crump