[ANN] SIMILE Welkin 1.1 Released

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:30:19 -0400

The SIMILE Project is happy to announce the long-awaited 1.1 release of
Welkin, an open source graphical RDF visualizer, released under a BSD
license.

This release brings several new features and a rewritten internal RDF
architecture, which lead us to a drastic reduction in code size, memory
consuption, startup time and RDF load time.

Here is a detailed list of the new features:

 - Works on Windows, Linux and MacOSX. [macosx users will find a
click-and-run prepackaged java bundle in the .DMG package]

 - Dramatically reduced size for increased startup performance [we went
from 6Mb to 0.3Mb!!]

 - Works both as an applet and a desktop application (the reduced size
and small dependencies make it ideal also for inclusion in web pages
that require to visualize dinamically generated or queried RDF)

 - Added support for Turtle RDF syntax (or the subset of N3 that looks
like turtle, which is most of the time the case)

 - Ability to turn on/off and modify link strength for individual
predicates.

 - Ability to color code resources.

 - Ability to select and filter nodes directly on their
graph-theoretical properties (indegree, outdegree and clustering
coefficient).

 - Highlighting works by token sub-selection and not only by full string
selection.

 - Added a detailed User Manual with screenshots examples

 - and a lot more..

We plan to continue working on it (see the TODO.txt file in the
distribution for what's in our queue), but we already find Welkin to be
a useful desktop companion and we plan to integrate it further with the
textual SIMILE Longwell facetted browser, to provide a more sofisticated
user experience.

Also, remember that SIMILE

Please send comments, suggestions, criticism, patches, features-requests
or whatever else you feel like sharing with us to the
general_at_simile.mit.edu mailing list (or subscribe to dev_at_simile.mit.edu
if you are more development inclined) and file bug reports in our issue
tracking system at http://simile.mit.edu/issues/

Thanks so much for your attention.

On behalf of the SIMILE development team: