[announcement] Piggy Bank 2.0.4 Released

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:20:36 -0700

I'm happy to announce the release of Piggy Bank 2.0.4 that is now
runnable on both Firefox 1.0.x and Deer Park alpha 2 (branch that will
result in Firefox 1.5 when finished)

Get it at

  http://simile.mit.edu/dist/piggy-bank/piggy-bank-2.0.4.xpi

NOTE: since Deerpark does not allow extensions to have letters in their
versions, we'll just use the same notation. Piggy Bank was supposed to
be in beta, but it's pretty damn solid at it is (slow but definately
solid), the fragility seems to come from the underlying browser.

Deer Park is not a minor release and it's supposed to fix several big
issues that seriously impaired the use of Piggy Bank in a day-to-day
operation (for example a pretty serious memory leak in the tab browser
of firefox 1.0.x results in hundreds of wasted Mb of memory after
continous use, especially under tab-intensive usage). Deer Park will
hopefully fix all those.

This is not the end of our quest to make Piggy Bank a really usable
tool, but the beginning.

I'll be spending next week trying to profile all the internals and come
up with some real numbers on where the hotspots are, so that we can
start planning for some optimization efforts.

Happy information harvesting!