Re: bibliographic issues

From: Eric Miller <em_at_w3.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:47:06 -0400

On Aug 2, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Alf Eaton wrote:

> On 02 Aug 2005, at 15:24, Eric Miller wrote:
>

>> Getting various content providers to agree on *a few* properties
>> when it comes to describing peoples for bibliographic description,
>> however, is a small but useful step. For the content providers
>> that are reading this list, I'm wondering if the following might
>> be a simple core folks could agree on...
>>
>> <foaf:Person>
>> <rdf:value>Jim Gettys</rdf:value> <!-- default value for apps
>> that don't know foaf -->
>> <foaf:givenname>Jim</foaf:givenname>
>> <foaf:surname>Gettys</foaf:surname>
>> </foaf:Person>
>>
>> Alf, Matthew? others? What do you think?
>>

> I think the description of a person's name needs to have 3 fields
> (at least): 'name', 'given name' and 'family name'.

Can you explain what what you mean by 'name' is in the above sentence?

The RDF/XML example above uses the rdf:value as a 'default' value for
a particular resource. In the above case this is useful when
applications consume this snippet of data but don't really know
anything about the foaf properties (think 'alt' attribute associated
with HTML 'img' element). I'm wondering if this serves the same
function as what you mean by 'name'?

semantic web activity lead               http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
w3c world wide web consortium            http://www.w3.org/