Re: [RT] Learning from Greasemonkey + Platypus

From: Alf Eaton <alf_at_hubmed.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:27:05 +0200

On 03 Aug 2005, at 23:46, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Also, once we have the content we want and the URL and the xpath
> (should we say xpointers?) locations, how do we turm them into RDF
> statements? how do we guide them to select the available ontologies
> or empower them to make their own?

I have a slightly different question, but on a similar topic.

The scenario is
i) A document contains data marked up using a standard 'microformat'
format, eg hReview [1]
ii) The document also contains a link to a profile describing that
format, which will recommend an XSLT stylesheet for processing the
document [2]
iii) A Greasemonkey (or Piggy Bank) script fetches the XSLT
stylesheet, applies it to the document, and produces a fragment of
RDF/XML [eg 3]

... then how can that RDF/XML fragment get imported into Piggy Bank?
Is there a utility function in Piggy Bank that a Greasemonkey script
can call to say 'import this chunk of RDF/XML'?

I think I remember someone asking a while ago on the list if the data
coin could show up when a page of pure RDF/XML was loaded - that
would be applicable here too, as the XML could be loaded into a new
page using a data: URI.

Admittedly this might all be unnecessary, if the XSLT transformation
was done by passing the document to a web service rather than using
Javascript, but I still think it could be useful (for example when
extracting data from a page that's behind a subscription barrier).

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar
[2] http://dannyayers.com/archives/2005/08/01/microformats-on-the-grddl/
[3] http://alf.hubmed.org/hreviewprocessor.user.js