Re: PiggyBank Mapping

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:47:05 -0400

Digiital Wizard wrote:
> I just found out about PB, and have been playing around with it, but I
> seem to hit the wall with something, not sure if I'm doing it wrong or
> I missed something. I looked around for the answer but no joy. with I
> click on "coordinates (map)" I get the following message: "No mapping
> application keys found, no map will be generated." do I have to enter
> a key? If so where?

Welcome. This has been a popular topic on the list lately. In short:
between our early releases of the PB2.x branch and now, Google made
their mapping API an official release. Applications that use it now
need a key from Google, but we haven't figured out a way to either
release with a key in a scalable fashion or make PB change up its URLs
in such a way that every user could enter their own personal key.

I propose one method is to change all URLs from /piggy-bank/[model] to
/piggy-bank/[hash of user's email]/[model]. Thoughts?

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327