Re: [update] piggybank performance profiling

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:37:17 -0400

eric_at_prebys.com wrote:
> I am excited to try out the new build with the memory leak
> fix, but I am not interested in running firefox's beta.
>
> does that mean i have to wait for mozilla to make a new
> production release?

no, piggybank 2.1 will work on both firefox 1.0 and firefox 1.5

> for some reason i got the sense that piggybank is having a
> problem with the firefox auto-update.

piggybank 2.0 does not have hooks to the firefox extension update
mechanism, also because in firefox 1.0 it's pretty lame.

I'm thinking of adding it to piggyBank 2.1 but it will require you to
run Firefox 1.5 (I think, I haven't done the work yet).

> this is probably a
> misread by me, but just in case... in general, i think that
> "versions" are a 20th century concept. at least, they have
> very little place in a web2.0 world. i'm fine with having
> two branches, but after choosing wether i want the
> production or the developer branch, i want my web2.0
> software to take care of staying on the freshest available
> prod/dev version. every day, i should have new features to
> greet me
> (http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/09/why_microsoft_cant_best_google.html)

I'm fully aware of the trend to avoid releasing software alltogether and
I share your appreciation for the fact that googlemaps fixes itself,
doesn't have to be you that fix it.

There are parts of piggybank (say scrapers) that will be treated as
'instant update' resources (their freshness is always checked on the web
before being run locally, and ask you if you want to update them before
they get executed) and we'll integrate in firefox's own update mechanism
  and we'll try to make releases early and often.

[note: firefox 1.5 now supports binary diff updates... means that we
they don't have to send you a new browser every time, but only the
binary difference between your version and the new one.... I don't know
if this could be used for extensions as well]