[heads up] Dramatic speed improvements in Piggy Bank

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:31:08 -0400

Thanks to Vineet's patch that adds object-predicate indexes to the
native Sesame store, I'm very happy to report that as of today, Piggy
Bank experiences massive performance improvements even for the first
loads of the page.

The system feels snappier and a *lot* more pleasant to use (and it's now
way closer to the way longwell1 feels).

We still have a way to go (and I have a few ideas on how to make the
browsing experience feel (and be) even faster, but now they are not such
a huge priority given the current performance state.

Right now, we have removed all the O(n) architectural limitations, at
least at read time, which makes it very promising on allowing the baby
to scale.

NOTE: I will try to write a 'repository migration and reindexing' code
later today so that the nighly built XPI will be able to reindex and
convert your existing repository into the newly indexed one. Before that
happens, you won't perceive any speed difference.

As for release, I'm getting real close now, I just need to polish a few
more rough edges but it should be for beginning of next week or the one
after at most.