Re: problem with Firefox Beta 2

From: Alf Eaton <lists_at_hubmed.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 23:11:51 -0400

On 08 Oct 2005, at 23:03, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Alf Eaton wrote:
>
>> Aha!
>> I just replaced the JavaEmbeddingPlugin and MRJPlugin bundles in /
>> Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/ (v0.9.4+a) with
>> the earlier version that I had in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins
>> (v0.9.3) and this time Piggy Bank started up ok.
>> Then I swapped the 0.9.4+a files back in again and it stopped
>> working.
>> Not sure if it's a problem with the Java Embedding Plugin or
>> Piggy Bank, but 0.9.4+a is a nightly build from September 24th:
>> http:// sourceforge.net/projects/javaplugin/
>>

> Why I don't understand is why I don't have that problem :-/
>
> ooooh, wait, try moving your internet plugins into ~/Library/
> Internet Plug-Ins instead!

Nope, it's not that. Firefox actually seems to ignore the user's
JavaEmbeddingPlugin and MRJPlugin - if they're not in /Applications/
Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/ it's not able to initialise the
Java VM.

It might be relevant that I've had problems with some Java applets
before, where they just wouldn't load. I never figured out why (they
worked in Safari, but not in Firefox), but if no-one else has this
problem then it might be safe to ignore it.

By the way, I found that v0.9.4 of the plugins didn't work either,
only v0.9.3.

alf.