Linotype & rdf/a: textual properties introduction

From: Paolo Ciccarese <paolo_at_aim.unipv.it>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:43:14 +0100

The first step for semantic annotation of content in Linotype (if you
want to know
more about Linotype see the note below) has been the introduction of
"qualifying links":
    <a
      href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/1.0/"
      rel="cc-license">Creative Common License</a>

    That leads to the following triplet:
    <> <cc-license> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/1.0/>

Through a prompt,it is possible to define the "qualifying links" and of
course the
"simple links".

Current prompt accepts:
- predicate (link type --> rel)
- object (link --> href)

But rdf/a allows also to define "textual properties":

    This leads to the following triplet:
    <> <foaf:name> <"Joe Lambda">

and qualifying Links plus property
    <a
      href="http://www.acme.com"
      rel="foaf:workplaceHomepage"
      property="foaf:work">ACME Inc.</a>.

    that leads to:
    <> <foaf:workplaceHomepage> <http://www.acme.com>
    <> <http://www.acme.com> <"ACME Inc.">

For adding these features it is necessary to make the prompt more complex.
In fact it should accept:
- predicate (link type --> rel)
- object (link --> href)
- property (property of the enclosed literal --> property)

I am a little bit scared about increasing complexity for "not-rdf people".
Maybe the usage of the label "link" and "link type" should be better than
"predicate" and "object". What do you think?

And what about property? Any ideas?

Paolo

--------------------
 What is Linotype?
--------------------

Linotype software was written by Stefano Mazzocchi for his own blog [1].
It is implemented as a Cocoon application and the original version is
available at [2].

Working on the same software Stefano and I started to introduce semantic
annotation of the content through rdf/a [3].

At the location [4] it is available a branch in which an initial
integration
of rdf/a is under developement.

[1] http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/
[2] http://simile.mit.edu/repository/linotype/trunk/