Re: Vertical search [was Re: geo-coordinates in Solvent]

From: Ben Hyde <bhyde_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:10:37 -0500

I've not seen the idea of 'vertical search' used outside of the chit-
chat of startups looking for a way to be a mini-google[1]. Better
yet! Making an acquisition target[2] for ya-goo-msoft-bay-zon.

All the way on the other end of the spectrum you the memes about
personal software agents. How we will all have bots skittering about
the net. I assume some of those will be run on our dime while others
will be run by intermediaries in exchange for our love, attention and/
or money.

It's getting easier to do this stuff. In part simile et. al. is
about accelerating that trend.

I've been noticing some signs that web sites are getting tetchy[3]
about this. Some of my acquaintances have taken to excluding all
bots but google's.

  - ben

[1] kayak.com seems like a success at that.
[2] pubsub.com is a possible example.
[3] http://incredibill.blogspot.com/2005/12/great-anti-scrape-off.html