Re: Craigslist scraper coordinates

From: Dean Allemang <dino_at_happydino.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:57:05 -0500

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Prokopp, Christian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just ran the craigslist scraper on http://www.craigslist.org/apa/ of
>> the 100 data sets I grabbed 72 have the coordinates
>> "37.0625,-95.677068" - somewhere in Kansas. I added a part of my proxy
>> log maybe it helps narrowing down the problem. Seems like the addresses
>> can not be resolved but I have no idea where these coordinates come
>> from.
>

> I was puzzled by that myself as, again, I demoed this the other day
> and the default "not found" location is somewhere around kansas, don't
> know if this is a reference to the wizard of oz, or simply the
> geographical center of gravity of the continental US (or both!)
>
> I honestly don't know how to fix that, because, I admit, it's pretty
> annoying. Sure we could filter any reference to "exactly" that
> location and turn it into a "not defined" or "not found".
>
> If anybody has better ideas, I'm all ears.

I posted a similar issue last week - David told us that the nightly
build (starting from Thursday of last week, I think?) has the fix in it.

He even told us where it was - let me look that up. Here it is:

   http://simile.mit.edu/builds/piggy-bank/

My experience with this was that I went to this link, downloaded the
nightly, installed it, and I wasn't in Kansas any more :)

Good luck!