Re: Piggy-bank/Semantic bank authorization and authentication

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:55:47 -0500

Prokopp, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the mechanisms for authorization and authentication of users at
> the semantic bank. I know one has to register a username and password
> but how much control does an administrator have? Additionally are there
> any rolles/groups/ownerships which allow fine grained access (crud)
> control to the data?

There is currently no authorization place in the semantic bank, it's
just a placeholder for now (for example, the username is used for
provenance information but the password is not even used.

Our vision is that you should have three stage of access:

  1) private: only you (means username/password) can access it
  2) protected: only you and the people you want to see it ( by group or
by name) can see it
  3) public: anybody can see it

We have no implemented all this yet but we should, it's just that we
have so much stuff to do already :-/

We would gladly accept patches that implement more security in the
semantic bank, though. <hint> <hint> :-)