reworking welkin

From: Arvind Venkataramani <arvind_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:44:14 -0500

So I'm taking an information visualization class, and I've been doing some
research on classification in social bookmarking systems. And it struck me
that the best thing to do is to put the two together.

Here's the idea: to combine RDF statement based navigation - 'show me all
authors [subject] who have published [predicate] with penguin [object]' -
with multi-dimensional info vis techniques to make welkin more powerful and
adaptable to different contexts and purposes.

I'd like to figure out how much interest there is in this, and what people
want. (of course, since I'm studying HCI, I'll do my gosh darned best to
make sure it is usable). So:

1. What are you people using welkin for? What kind of data?

2. What kinds of questions do you want answered using an info-vis?

3. What problems do you have with welkin as it is now? What are the
things you wish you could do, but can't?

Thanks a ton in advance, and I'm really open to suggestions: user-centred
design and all that :)

-- arvind

ms/hci | gvu center | georgiatech