Re: Sneak peek

From: David Huynh <dfhuynh_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:57:21 -0500

Steve Dunham wrote:

>On 3/3/06, David Huynh <dfhuynh_at_csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>

>>of Piggy Bank + Solvent 3.x... work in early progress...
>>
>> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/research/media/UIST%202006/uist2006.swf
>>
>>(Look ma, no angle bracket and no URI! No bnode. No xpath. No custom javascript scraper. It's just the ol' Web. With semantics.)
>>

>It's looking _very_ slick. I particularly like how the results are
>filtered in-place.

Thanks, Steve :-) Yup, the "in-place" is the whole message to the user:
"it is the same Web that you've come to know and love, only better."

>A few ideas for enhancements (not that you don't have enough to keep
>you busy forever):
>
> * Guess the property names from the values. (Maybe using some kind
>of text classification.)

There's a possibility of using the fixed text nearby a field value as
the field name. But that is not always reliable. I'm also thinking about
retaining units (like $ from "$19.99" and % from "35% off") and formats
(like the strikethru in "was $19.99, now only $15.99"). Such are syntax
details that hint at semantics and help keep context.

> * Guess type of data (from the properties and text classification of
>the items/page)

Not sure how to do this... Could you say some more on this?

> * Save to piggy bank (of course).

Definitely. Now that I have total control of the Web page, I can even
add tagging UI right on top of each item... :-) Add context menu command
like "Call this phone number", "Add to my calendar using this date
field", etc.

> * Short term - I think you could make a good guess at what elements
>are addresses and put up a google map. That'd have good demo-value.

Yes, I can see a little Google Map in the sidebar... Do you know of any
address detection Javascript code out there?

David