[Fwd: RDF2Go 3.1 released - A wrapper over Java triple stores]

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:13:54 -0800

Came across RDF2Go today, basically a JDBC-like layer for RDF triple
stores in java, which would allow us to be triple-store neutral and
allow easier performance testing across various containers.

Has anybody tried it? Are there severe performance drawbacks?

Thanks in advance.

attached mail follows:

Hi,

  today we released [1] a new version of RDF2Go [2],
  a simple wrapper over Java triple stores, similar in spirit of
  Jakarta Commons Logging.

  It allows developers to un-tangle their semantic web applications
  from a specific store and thus profit from using always the best
  store (performance, features).

  RDF2Go currently comes with adaptors for:
  - Jena 2.2 (bug with arbitrary non-XSD datatypes in literals)
  - Jena 2.3
  - Sesame 1 (has no SPARQL support)
  - Sesame 2 (bug in Sesame2: Context URL cannot be retrieved.
  Queries don't work yet.)
  - YARS (language tagged literals bug, YARS adapter currenlty
  refactored by YARS developer Andreas Harth. SPAQRL not supported.)
  - NG4J (no SPARQL support in adaptor, TRIQ available)
  - JCR (with JackRabbit)
  All adaptors incl. all needed libraries can be downloaded from [1].
  Writing new adaptors is easy, only 6 methods have to be implemented.

  Features:
  --------
  - add and remove triples with one-method-call
  (this is almost like the patented one-click-shopping)
  - query for triple patterns
  - SPARQL (not all stores support it)
  - full support for quad stores
  - built-in URIs for RDF, RDFS, XSD
  - NO support for parsing: use the supplied parser from the
    triple stores instead. We don't re-implement everyhing.

  RDF2Go maps RDF to Java as follows:
  ----------------------------------
    uri - java.net.URI
    blank node - org.ontoware.rdf2go.BlankNode
    plain literal - java.lang.String
    language tagged literal - org.ontoware.rdf2go.LanguageTagLiteral
    datatyped literal - org.ontoware.rdf2go.LanguageTagLiteral

  This allows to add statements as simple as

    // assume some URIs have been created
    URI mike = new URI("urn://mike");
    URI foafName = new URI("http://foaf.com#name");

    // add triple
    model.addStatement( mike, foafName, "Mike Müller" );

  Further Information
    - More about the workflow using RDF2Go can be found at [2].
    - A paper describing RDF2Go in brief can be found at [3] (skip other
      sections).
    - There are a number of related approaches, but to our knowledge
    none is a simplistic and comes with such a large number of
    adapters. Related approaches are KPOntology [4], Trippi [5] and of
    course the inventor of all these [6].