You can share some of the information items you have collected using Piggy Bank with other people by publishing them onto a Semantic Bank, a communal repository of information.
Adding Accounts to Piggy Bank
Before you can publish, you must register with one or more Semantic Banks:
- Invoke the menu command Tools » Piggy Bank » My Semantic Bank Accounts....
- Click Add... in the Semantic Bank Accounts dialog box.
- In the popup dialog box, type in the URL to the Semantic Bank you want to register with. (The default URL points to our group’s Semantic Bank, but we recommend that your group set up its own Semantic Bank.)
- Select the type of account, either OpenID or Username / password; for username / password, enter an account ID of your choice and a password. (Note: currently we do not use encryption during authentication; do not use your precious password here.)
- Click OK, wait for the account to get registered, and then dismiss the Semantic Bank Accounts dialog box.
In the latest versions of Piggy Bank (3.1+), the ability to use OpenID based Semantic Bank accounts with the help of Appalachian was added. The process for adding an account is similar; after step 3 as above:
- Select OpenID as the type of account.
- Choose the OpenID you'd like to use with this Semantic Bank, making sure it supports OpenID authentication (there should be an OpenID login box on its front page)
- Click OK.
- Visit the Semantic Bank and login with Appalachian.
In newer versions of Piggy Bank (3.1+) you can publish from any view of Piggy Bank by clicking on the coin upload icon in your status bar. The icon will show up for individual items (viewed on their own by clicking their title) or for any browsing at all, other than the initial front page view of Piggy Bank.
Your old username / password accounts will still work with older versions of Semantic Bank that don't accept OpenID. Newer OpenID-based accounts may require an intermediate login step after you hit the publishing icon; you will be asked if you want to login if you haven't done so beforehand, and a separate tab or window will open to help speed up the process.
Publishing in Older Piggy Bank Versions
In older versions of Piggy Bank, before 3.1, you could publish an item by just clicking the corresponding Publish button (much like how you save the item). To publish all the items being viewed, click the Publish All button. In addition, while tagging a web page, you can also publish the tags directly to your Semantic Banks by tabbing over to the Tag and Publish button. Note that in this version of Piggy Bank, publishing means publishing to all Semantic Banks you have registered with — there is no fine-grained control over which Semantic Banks to publish to.
Using Semantic Bank
You can browse to a Semantic Bank just by browsing to the Semantic Bank’s URL (e.g., http://simile.mit.edu/bank/). Semantic Bank provides the same browsing user interface Piggy Bank. In addition, Semantic Bank lets you browse the items it contains by the contributors of those items (use the “contributor” facet). That is, you can zoom into the collection of items contributed by a particular person.