Re: Assistance with Citeline

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:01:43 -0400

Amanda Graham wrote:

> Hello, Stefano,
>
> I've attached the file as you requested. I should have thought of doing
> that at first. I also didn't tell you--as I probably should--that I used
> EndNote X2, the most recent version, to make the file. Perhaps it makes
> a different flavour of BiBTeXT?

The file you sent me is not properly formatted BibTeX.

A good BibTeX entry looks like this

_at_article{cilibrasi_clustering_2005,
        title = {Clustering by Compression},
        volume = {51},
        journal = {Information Theory, IEEE Transactions on},
        author = {R. Cilibrasi and P. M. B. Vitani},
        year = {2005},
        pages = {1523-1545}
},

while all the items in your BibTeX file look like this:

   title = {The Arctic Expedition of the Diana},
   volume = {8868},
   number = {5},
   pages = {5},
   month = {September 26},
   abstract = {...},
   keywords = {Arctic exploration},
   year = {|1874|}
}

note how your entries seem to be missing the first line which basically is

_at_<type>{<reference_ID>

we were aware of the fact that sometimes EndNote might generate the
entry without a reference_ID (and we can cope with that issue), but
without a type and starting point, there is little we can do to parse
this file.

My suggestion would be to try to add the "type" of reference to your
EndNote bibliography (for example, article, book, conference
proceedings, etc..), export that and see if Citeline responds better
(and do look at the BibTeX file for those lines that start with a "_at_"
character).

Sorry about all this: BibTeX is supported by most citation management
tools (at least on paper) but their real-life interoperability is far
from being painless.

Hope this helps.