Re: fresnel:*Format

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <Emmanuel.Pietriga_at_lri.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:33:40 +0200

Ryan Lee wrote:
> Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:
>
>> Ryan Lee wrote:

>>> Group-level styles are added to any other applicable styles as it is
>>> possible in XHTML to declare multiple classes on one element. This
>>> allows you to e.g. say something about how every rendered resource
>>> should look.
>>>
>>> The same approach seems to make sense to me here as well. I think
>>> they all do do the same thing, in a cumulative and ordered sense.
>>

>> If you do:

>> <head>
>> charset=iso-8859-15" />
>> p.foo1:before {
>> content: "foo1 ";
>> }
>>
>> p.foo2:before {
>> content: "foo2 ";
>> }
>> </head>

>> only foo2 appears as content before p's content.
>>
>> Not both foo1 and foo2.
>

> I don't fully agree that different scopes should be interpreted as
> conflict and thus require resolution, but I'll go along with it.

What I don't like about the option of "combining" styles declared at the
group level and resource/property/value level is that I don't consider
the semantics to be clear enough, mainly because the "group" per se is
only a logical concept in my mind (i.e., it does not have a
representation in the output rendering, and thus associating formatting
info with it should be considered only from a logical perspective, not
from a rendering perspective).

> suppose someone who wants to do formatting regarldess of type can put it
> in themselves when transforming the Fresnel tree.
>
> Revising the original proposal:
>
> 2. Stricken, unnecessary ("Mint new terms...").
>

> 3. Conflict:
>
> - Consider formats as specified in fresnel:Format to take
> precedence over those in fresnel:Group.
>
> - instanceFormatDomain directives take precedence over
> classFormatDomain.
>
> - Only allow one instance of any *Format predicate on a given
> FormatDescription.
>
> I've amended the vocabulary to reflect any changes. It should be frozen
> at this point; I'll add these changes to the manual a bit later.

Ok.

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66