FSL and subclass/subproperty relationships

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <emmanuel.pietriga_at_inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:20:47 +0200

Hello all,

Coming back to FSL, I've been wondering about the need/relevance of
having an operator for ignoring subclass/subproperty relationships on
node and arc location steps.

The expression:

*/foaf:knows/foaf:Person

selects all paths that:
- have any resource as their first step,
- traverse an arc labeled by the foaf:knows URI or any URI refering to a
property declared as a subproperty of foaf:knows in an RDFS or OWL document,
- end at a resource whose type is foaf:Person or one of its subclass.

Now, there might be cases when one wants to select nodes which are
instances of a specific class but not of its subclasses. Same thing for
property arcs.

I thought about introducing the bang operator to say this:

*/!foaf:knows/!foaf:Person

would select all paths that:
- have any resource as their first step,
- traverse an arc labeled by the foaf:knows URI ONLY (arcs whose URI
refers to a property declared as a subproperty of foaf:knows in an RDFS
or OWL document would not be selected),
- end at a resource whose type is foaf:Person ONLY (instances of
subclasses would not be selected).

Do we want this? If so, is '!' appropriate?

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66