Re: AW: FSL and subclass/subproperty relationships

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <emmanuel.pietriga_at_inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:39:53 +0100

David Karger wrote:
> "Exposing" subtyping to the user to decide whether to use it or not
> seems strange to me. Also good source of bugs when people try to use
> other lenses recursively.

It all depends who you call a "user". I was not intending to expose
"end-users" to subtyping relationships (by end-user I mean here people
who do not necessarily have knowledge about SemWeb or any
programming-related skills). Only people who write Fresnel code should
see FSL expressions (as only XSLT programmers see XPath expressions, not
"end-users" who browse XSLT-generated HTML pages).

> How about we instead maintain the standard
> semantic web perspective that inference is desirable but never
> guaranteed---namely, when someone writes into fresnel that the lens
> applies to a type, the proper inference is that it also applies to
> subtypes, but since inference is never guaranteed to work, there may be
> some implementations that will fail to "notice" that a given subtype
> relationship applies.

I am not sure I understand your position. Are you questioning the whole
idea of allowing Fresnel programmers to explicitly say whether a type
test matches subclasses/subproperties or not? Or are you just
questioning which behavior should be the default?

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66