Novel data browser

From: Butler, Mark <mark-h.butler_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:30:57 +0100

Hi team,

I've just come across a novel data browser.
http://nesstar.essex.ac.uk/webview/index.jsp
Produced by Nesstar
http://www.nesstar.com/

Basically if you look at their demo (best to look at the help / FAQ about
how to browse, it took me some time to figure out) then you'll see it stores
lots of numeric / statistical datasets. The browser lets you navigate the
datasets, then lets manipulate the datasets in different ways.

Its mainly aimed at social science communities, but I thought it was
interesting because of the browsing paradigm, and because the data is quite
heterogeneous. They use DDI metadata standard - see
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/

A similar system is being developed by the Harvard / MIT data center - see
http://thedata.org/soft.shtml
and see
http://vdc.hmdc.harvard.edu/VDC/index.jsp
for a demo.

It makes the raw XML metadata files available e.g.
http://vdc.hmdc.harvard.edu/VDC/Repository/0.1/Access?name=http://purl.theda
ta.org/VDC/0.1/PURL/1.1.2/09092

best regards

Dr Mark H. Butler