RE: Dealing with controlled vocabularies / classes as values

From: Butler, Mark <mark-h.butler_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:11:50 +0100

Hi Stefano

> What is your impression after reading the document about our decisions?

I still think the approach taken, approach 1 in
http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-classes-as-values/ is the cleanest, most easily
understood model.

However I did not appreciate that such models were incompatible with OWL
lite and OWL DL. So if it was necessary to use a DL reasoner, the model
would need to be rethought.

I wasn't pointing to this document because I think the decision needs to be
rethought though - the document is valuable because it considers a complex
modelling issue in a systematic fashion.

Note the document itself does not make any recommendations about the
preferred approach.

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist, HP Labs Bristol
http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut