Re: Explanation of facet frequency bug

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:21:46 -0400

David R. Karger wrote:

> It seems to me that if you hae 1000 facets to deal with, then the
> problem of looking at or finding the right facets is an information
> retrieval problem in its own right. Rather than hardwiring special
> purpose tools for working with the facets, we should be representing
> the facets in a way that lets them be treated as a corpus to which we
> apply all the traditional information retrieval tools.

David,

I can hardly agree more with the fact that, as we stand, longwell will
not be able to scale to a very large corpus with a very large number of
facet instances.

We already have a facet search box in longwell, but given how it's
implemented (client side grepping) it is not going to scale either.

Now: how do we do this? figuring it out is one of the next deliverables
of the project, along with the triple-store scalability and being pretty
much the UI designer of the team, I would love to hear your thoughts on
how we can integrate a browsing and searching interface, on a
not-so-rich UI framework like a standard browser.