Re: Explanation of facet frequency bug

From: David R. Karger <karger_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:24:49 -0400

Here are some preliminary thoughts.

A set of 1000 facets is a corpus. How do you search a corpus? You
need useful descriptions of each element of the corpus. Textual
descriptions and metadata. Textual description is obvious---ideally,
when we create an ontology, someone should write a document describing
each predicate in the ontology. Of course, since we are in the
metadata business, it's nice to think about metadata for the
predicates. There's obvious stuff---eg, the RDFS info about the
predicates, like the domain and range of the predicate. But it's
interesting to think about what other kinds of predicates can be
descriptive for an end user. To think about this I'd like to take a
look at the list of predicates. Is it available somewhere?

Given the metadata, there are various tool for searching it. I'd like
to see Vineet's metadata-based fuzzy browser applied to this problem,
for example.

   Mailing-List: contact general-help_at_simile.mit.edu; run by ezmlm