[announcement] Piggy-Bank 1.0.0

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:02:21 -0500

The SIMILE Project and the Haystack Project are very proud and extremely
excited to jointly announce the availability of the first extension to
Mozilla Firefox that adds RDF harvesting, searching and browsing
capabilities to your everyday web browser.

What Mosaic did for the web, we think Piggy-Bank will do for the
semantic web!

Piggy-Bank is your personal information tidbits bank. We like to think
of it as bookmarks on steroids.

It sits there quietly, while you browse, and harvests the RDF tidbits
found in the pages you browse.... RSS, FOAF, BibTEX, and lets you save
them into your local triplestore. This is just the beginning: expect
more RDF ontologies (as well as more automatic RDF-ization!) to be
supported in the future!

Piggy-Bank is the result of the amazing work of David Huynh inspired by
Prof. David Karger, that wants to bring some of the research work done
by the Haystack Group to the masses.

Piggy-Bank is built around the SIMILE Longwell RDF browser, which is a
general-purpose facetted RDF browser that has already attracted a lot of
attention. Reuse rather than reinvent is the spirit that drives this
integration.

Piggy-Bank, like all other SIMILE software, is open source software
distributed under a BSD license, and we aim to build a diverse and open
development community around it. So, no more waiting and point your
firefox to

  http://simile.mit.edu/piggy-bank/

where you can install it with the simplicity of any other firefox extension.

For comments, suggestions and/or criticism, we welcome you to join our
mailing lists

  http://simile.mit.edu/mail.html

or use our issue tracking tool to tell us about bug reports or feature
requests

  http://simile.mit.edu/issues/

Thank you for your kind attention and happy RDF harvesting!!!

On behalf of the SIMILE and Haystack Project...