Re: Piggy-Bank build instructions

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:39:50 -0500

Ryan Lee wrote:
> David Huynh wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've checked in some instructions for downloading Piggy-Bank's source
>> code and building it:
>>
>> http://simile.mit.edu/piggy-bank/build.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> David
>

> The build process refers to your blog post, which appears to contain a
> Windows- only set of instructions. The following will enable a Mac OS X
> XPI build (I'm not sure where to put this since the same information is
> externally referred to in your simile.mit.edu document).
>
> The ant-contrib portion is the same.
>
> With much help from:
> 1. http://www.webweavertech.com/costin/archives/000395.html
> refers to 2. http://www.iosart.com/firefox/gecko-sdk-macosx/
> and also 3. http://www.geeklair.net/downloads/
>
> On Mac OS X, libIDL and the Gecko SDK are required for a build. libIDL
> is available as a binary from [3] above. The Gecko SDK must be compiled.
>
> To compile the Gecko SDK requires GTK+ and libIDL. I tried to build the
> gtk-osx package described in [2], but Xcode failed to do so, so I went
> another route and grabbed the GTK+ package out of Fink. Steps 4-6 in
> 'The Solution' in [2] are fine; hopefully I didn't miss any requisite
> additional installs due to something already being installed on my
> system...
>
> Tell piggy-bank where to find libIDL-config (/usr/local on mine) and
> your ${compiled-mozilla}/dist/sdk directory, perhaps via
>
> ant -Dgecko_sdk_path=${compiled-mozilla}/dist/sdk
> -Dbuildtools_path=/usr/local
>
> and you should have your piggy-bank.xpi in dist/

I compiled the whole mozilla trunk to get the xpidl compiler (tooook
forever!!! do you want to me to put it in svn?), me thinks that we can
do a way better job with this build system... for example, we don't need
to create the IDL everytime, but only when the contract something changes.

Also, I think that the build should be ant-only and allow people to
build the thing without eclipse.

WDYT?