Re: Piggy-Bank build instructions

From: Ryan Lee <ryan_at_ryanlee.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:55:36 -0500

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Ryan Lee wrote:
>> With much help from:
>> 1. http://www.webweavertech.com/costin/archives/000395.html
>> refers to 2. http://www.iosart.com/firefox/gecko-sdk-macosx/
>> and also 3. http://www.geeklair.net/downloads/

> I compiled the whole mozilla trunk to get the xpidl compiler (tooook
> forever!!! do you want to me to put it in svn?), me thinks that we can
> do a way better job with this build system... for example, we don't need
> to create the IDL everytime, but only when the contract something changes.

The steps in [2] note how to compile a subset that will give you back
the xpidl binary (it didn't seem like it took all that long for me,
maybe 20 minutes - maybe our definitions of forever are different). It
would be nice if the Mozilla folks just distributed the SDK binaries
themselves for Mac OS X - I think it's only Windows and Linux in their
public FTP space.

I support its addition to our repository, sorry I didn't think to do
that before.

> Also, I think that the build should be ant-only and allow people to
> build the thing without eclipse.

I second improving on the build process - a 'clean' target would also be
really useful.

I'll go add one...

--
Ryan Lee