Re: Updated Fresnel Ontologies and Examples - internationalization

From: David Huynh <dfhuynh_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:48:16 -0500

Chris Bizer wrote:

>>>Hi David,
>>>
>>>yes, good idea. What do you think about having a fresnel:contentNoValue
>>>property on the styleDescription class. Meaning you could say
>>>
>>>:knowsStyle fresnel:valueStyle [ fresnel:contentAfter ", " ;
>>> fresnel:contentLast ". "
>>>

>;
>

>>> fresnel:contentNoValue
>>>

>"This
>

>>>guy knows nobody." ] ;
>>>

>>It's hard for me to see how this fits in, as I'm not familiar with the
>>rest of Fresnel.
>>
>>On a different note, the N3 code you showed seems to make some
>>localization assumptions specific to English (or another similar
>>language). ", " assumes a left-to-right text flow and also assumes the
>>use of space (in Chinese, for example, there's no space between words).
>>In Chinese, I think you can also just juxtapose several nouns to make up
>>a list without having to use list separators.
>>

>This is a hard one. No idea.
>
>:knowsStyle fresnel:valueStyle [ fresnel:contentAfter ", "_at_en ;
> fresnel:contentLast ".
>_at_en ] ;
>
>also doesn't help. Anybody else any solution?

As I said before, in Haystack, we have this duality of two display
primitives, "viewOne" and "viewMany". There are several implementations
of "viewMany" (e.g., as a list box, a graph layout, or a simple
sequential list). The simple sequential list "viewMany" knows how to
insert separators and terminator properly. It should be the thing that's
localized.

---
I think we need to push the "viewMany" stuff into lower layers of the
system (whatever that means). Otherwise, here's an interesting bug that
you will probably encounter (we did!): Say someone comes along and
decide to put a little icon after each contact's name in a "knows" list:
    John Doe knows Alicia Hacker [icon], Ben Bitdiddle [icon], and
Connie Cons [icon].
As the width of the line gets shorter, you might see the browser
wrapping that line as follows:
    John Doe knows Alicia Hacker [icon], Ben Bitdiddle [icon]
    , and Connie Cons [icon].
or further:
    John Doe knows Alicia Hacker [icon], Ben Bitdiddle
    [icon], and Connie Cons [icon].
The right thing to do is to keep each [icon] on the same line as the
last word of the corresponding name, and to keep the comma attached to
the [icon]. But the browser can't do that unless it knows what each
thing it's displaying is for and how they are related. This is sorta
what we were trying to achieve with Haystack's UI framework--to let the
semantics be connected from the datastore all the way to the rendered
pixels, such that the browser is aware what each pixel represents.
(Yes, I realize I'm complaining about misplaced commas, but isn't RDF
supposed to help us model tiny little details like this?)
---
Another note about lists: People might need a convenient way to display
only the top X items and provide a link to the rest, or a way to show
all items at once:
    A knows B, C, D, and [37 more people]
The truncation might not be specified as a number (3 as above), but
might depend on the screenspace available (e.g., "show however many
items that fits on at most 2 lines"). Yup, it's a tough one :-) but I'm
very certain that it's needed.
---
Another feature request: It'd be nice if date values are automatically
displayed in some more humane fashion than "Saturday, March 12, 2005
12:35:09PM EST". "Today 12:35" would be better. Sometimes (and only
sometimes), you want things like "5 minutes ago", "Last year", and "Last
semester". Of course, in Haystack, we went all out and considered more
semantic transformations that can occur before rendering, such as
indicating an email my father sent me as coming from "My dad" rather
than showing his full name. And if I send an email to both of my
parents, the email would be shown as addressed to "My parents" than as
addressed to two full names.
I believe that little details like these are really bringing home the
point about RDF capable of modelling little things. And while you can
already impress developers with huge chunks of RDF/XML, these little
things are the things that impress the users :-)
David