fresnel thoughts

From: David R. Karger <karger_at_mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:41:30 -0500

I've been thinking a bit about how much of fresnel I can use with
haystack. It is my hope that we can use both the "lens" and "style"
vocabularies, and essentially to use the same lenses and styles that
are being used in longwell. I did realize one interesting
problem---one I created myself by insisting the hierarchical
representation not contain rdf. Haystack is in general going to be
pretty happy with the hierarchical layout generated by fresnel's
lens/style combination. But items in haystack are supposed to be
active---when the user right clicks, or drags one, haystack is going
to have to know which _resource_ is being addressed by the user. We
can easily find out which _visual element_ of the hierarchical model
is being addressed, but since we took any reference to the underlying
rdf out of the intermediate representation, how can haystack map back
to the underlying resource?

It would be a shame for this to be the one issue that prevents
haystack from adopting fresnel completely, so suggestions for fix
would be appreciated!