Re: fresnel for tabular layouts?

From: Chris Bizer <bizer_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:03:08 -0500

Hi,

I have been playing around with displaying tables using Fresnel.

The result is an example how CSS tables can be used to render the friends of
a person, which is found here:
http://simile.mit.edu/repository/fresnel/trunk/examples/foaf-table-example.n
3

browser has to be pretty smart.

The problem is, that the CSS table styling language is intended for styling
XML and expects all table-header labels to be children of one XML element in
front of the other XML elements containing the actual data.

But our intermediate format, which I proposed two days ago, models the
labels in a different way: They are repeated for each instance.

So what a browser would have to do in order to make tables work is to:
- look in the containerStyle CSS styling instructions for "display: table"
- if it finds display table, it would have to render that part of the
intermediate tree the way CSS expects it.
- or if the browser directly renders HTML, it could also put HTML table tags
at the appropriate places.

So, I think we shouldn't invent new Fresnel vocabulary for tables (the
nessesary semantics are covered by CSS terms), but leave it to the browser
to handle the CSS terms in an appropriate way.

What do you think?

Chris