Re: Results of todays meeting

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <Emmanuel.Pietriga_at_lri.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:31:40 +0100

Chris Bizer wrote:

> This thought lead us into the direction, that it might be a good idea to
> implement one Fresnel rendering engine that would provide all Fresnel
> functionality and output an intermediate tree.
>
> This tree could then be used by Longwell, Haystack, IsaViz and Cocoon to
> render whatever they like. Meaning that the tools would share as much code
> as possible.
> I'm not implementing, so it is not my business, but looks like an
> interesting idea.

Definitely. One of the purpose of such intermediate representations is
to promote reusability of code. This would mean less implementation
effort for us, but also for other people that might be interested in
supporting (even a few modules of) Fresnel in their tool.

> Seen on an abstract level (not XML), the tree would be a tree of RDF nodes,
> where each node has a set of CSS styling instructions attached to it. Pretty
> general and the kind of input all four tool need.

We should not restrict that to CSS. For instance I'm also interested in
SVG properties.

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66