Re: Tyro's efforts with Longwell 1.1.

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:15:43 -0400

Hello Jon,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Jon Crump wrote:
> config.n3:

> :Content disp:propertyObjectDisplay (
> dc:title
> dc:creator
> dc:date
> dc:description
> dc:location
> dc:thumbnail
> ) .
>
> # Display as a hyperlink
> dc:thumbnail a disp:GetImage .
> dc:source a disp:Link .

If a property is listed in :propertyObjectDisplay, it must be specified
as a type of display object. As you only have dc:thumbnail and
dc:source, I would modify your list to say:

:Content disp:propertyObjectDisplay (
  dc:thumbnail
  dc:source
) .

This should fix your NPException and introduce another error due to this:

> :Content disp:displayFacets (
> dc:creator
> dc:location
> dc:date
> ) .

In Longwell 1.1, a facet can only be a property with resources in the
object of the statement. All of the properties in your list are
properties that expect literals as the object of the statement. This
will change in future versions, but for now, you will have to modify
your data to use URIs representing your statement objects if you want
the faceting portion to function.

You may want to see this message from Mark Butler for more about the
same type of issue:

http://simile.mit.edu/mail/ReadMsg?listName=Dev&msgNo=1256

(the paragraph beginning with "Second, ...")

> <dc:date>1800-1899</dc:date>

I also glanced at your data and noticed the above usage of dc:date.
While there are a lot of things that could fit the Dublin Core date
term, a date range is probably not one of them (see
http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/#date). Perhaps a modelling issue
to keep in mind for future exploration.

I hope this has been of some use to you. Please don't hesitate to ask
any further questions.

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327