Re: Tyro's efforts with Longwell 1.1.

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee_at_w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:53:56 -0400

Hi Jon,

> Longwell stopped throwing me errors;
> however, it still won't show me anything. Mark Butler's comments
> (http://simile.mit.edu/mail/ReadMsg?listName=Dev&msgNo=1256) were
> helpful in dispelling some of the fog, but I had a question about them.
> He says:
>
> <<
> You will probably have lots of instances of the string "Okatee Creek" in
> the data. To normalize this, you create a node that represents the
> concept of "Okatee Creek". This node has an rdfs:label attached that
> says "Okatee Creek". Next you update all the experimental results that
> were taken at Okatee Creek point at the node rather than the string e.g.
>
> <ohh:deployment>OCM20011113</ohh:deployment>
> <ohh:location>
> <rdf:Description
> rdf:about="http://www.somegeographicinfoserver.org/geometadata/listOfLoc
> ations#okateeCreek">
> <rdfs:label>Okatee Creek</rdfs:label>
> </ohh:location>
>

> In the above, the rdf:Description element is not closed. Should it be an
> empty element or should it have its own closing tag? I presume the
> former, but I'm just checking. Also, would the resource node in question
> look like this:

I guess he left off the closing tag. It should be:
[[[
      <rdf:Description
rdf:about="http://www.somegeographicinfoserver.org/geometadata/listOfLocations#okateeCreek">
       <rdfs:label>Okatee Creek</rdfs:label>
      </rdf:Description>
]]]

If it were an empty element, there would be no statement. This is
slightly easier to see in the RDF/N3 representation:

[[[
      :okateeCreek rdfs:label "Okatee Creek" .
]]]

> <ohh:location
> rdf:resource="http://www.somegeographicinfoserver.org/geometadata/listOfLoc
> ations#okateeCreek">
> <rdfs:label>Okatee Creek</rdfs:label>
> </ohh:location>

In N3,

[[[
      :_anon0 ohh:location :okateeCreek .
      :okateeCreek rdfs:label "Okatee Creek" .
]]]

If you wanted to express this in RDF/XML in-place, you'd need to use
rdf:Description (or some other explicit element) instead of using
rdf:resource in the property element (see the first example I wrote).

> If anyone would be willing to explain, briefly, why this file does not
> work, it would go a long way toward clarifying for me just how an rdf
> model should be structured, and how it should function.

I loaded your data without modification into Longwell 1.1, freshly
downloaded from the SIMILE distributions, and it worked. Perhaps if you
start over using a fresh copy? Build any arbitrary bundle; empty the
non-ontologies data and put content.rdf in webapp/WEB-INF/data, and
place config.n3 in webapp/WEB-INF

Some things to clean up:

In config.n3, there is a non-empty intersection of properties listed in
displayProperties and displayFacets. I suggest you take dc:location and
uwdl:objectname out of the list of displayProperties. There should not
be an overlap.

In your RDF data, you have some URIs that look like
"http://content.lib.washington.edu/contentcollections/objectname#Khyber
Pass (Afghanistan and Pakistan)" You may want to normalize the spaces
into another character (maybe the "_" character).

The object of your dc:source and dc:thumbnail predicates should be a
resource, not a literal, so:

[[[
<dc:source
rdf:resource="http://content-dev.lib.washington.edu/buildings/image/MH99.JPG"/>
<dc:thumbnail
rdf:resource="http://content-dev.lib.washington.edu/buildings/image/iconMH99.JPG"/>
]]]

This namespace isn't used anywhere:
xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-rdf-schema-19990303"

But it should really be:
xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee_at_w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327