RE: Piggy Bank and rules

From: Shashi Kant <skant_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:09:53 -0400

Phil

Thanks for your email. I work with the Simile team here at MIT...and thought
I would offer my perspective.

1. Your ideas are very valid - "rules" are the next level of abstraction
being developed over OWL. You prolly are familiar with SWRL
(http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-SWRL-20040521/)

2. Specifically what can be done with PiggyBank(PB) and now, are some
elementary reasoning tasks using say a Reasoner like Pellet or Fact. For the
kind of task that you describe, you likely do not need the full power of a
"rules" system (mind you - it might carry a lot of overhead).

3. One of the things I am hoping to do is to build a reasoning system into
PB. This would let people prescribe actions based on certain inferences.

And this might be on bit of a tangent here - I am also building a
text-mining technique that would let Piggybank users "mine" RDF from text
(HTML) into their Piggybanks. I think this would be a step along the way of
boot-strapping the semantic web.

HTH,
Shashi