introduction and questions

From: Erik Hatcher <esh6h_at_virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:02:21 -0400

<introduction>A little introduction for my first e-mail to this
wonderful group... I work for ARP (Applied Research in Patacriticism)
at the University of Virginia (http://www.patacriticism.org) building
tools for digital library archives. The Rossetti Archive search
feature is my latest accomplishment:
http://www.rossettiarchive.org/rose/ - search for "blessed damozel" to
find one of Rossetti's most famous works - massive cleanup of URL's and
pre-generation of static content has also been part of my efforts. As
the co-author of Lucene in Action, Lucene is my hammer and I use it
even when it doesn't make sense to :) The book has a site that
leverages Lucene: http://www.lucenebook.com

My current project for ARP is to build a system we're calling Collex,
which will allow users to collect "objects" from digital archives into
collections and then build and publish elegant exhibits from the
objects they've collected.

I had the pleasure of catching up with my friend Stefano last weekend
while I was in Boston presenting at the ACM meeting and NFJS symposium.
  His passion for SIMILE and the overlap with what we're doing has
pulled me in and I'm convinced that SIMILE and the concepts it works
with are the right places to be. There is great synergy of the SIMILE
projects and what I'm doing at ARP.</introduction>

Now on to my questions....

First, I'm utterly clueless about RDF. What is the simplest RDF file I
can put into Longwell for it to be browsable? I'm after something
concrete and simple to begin with. I'm drowning in a sea of
abstractions, and need something concrete to keep me afloat. I've
tried a few simple XSLT experiments with a sample of our data and have
not been successful in making Longwell happy - I see no facets to
browse. I do, however, see lots of great stuff when I drop in the
bibliography or the other samples. Those examples are a bit too much
for me to start with though - it seems I should be able to expose
things to Longwell with only Dublin Core metadata to start with.

For sake of example, Rossetti's Blessed Damozel is shown in this HTML
page: http://www.rossettiarchive.org/docs/1-1847.s244.raw.html and the
source XML (a custom "schema") is here:
http://www.rossettiarchive.org/docs/1-1847.s244.raw.xml . The root
element has some metadata that would be fun to start with, such as
archivetype, metatype, id, and workcode, all of which is meaningful
within our domain.

Also, pointers to tutorials or jump starts on how to wrap my head
around RDF would be most helpful.

----
A few other minor things:
	- Gadget is cool!  Please make its build.xml file use "package" as its
default target.
	- Longwell2 - How do I get it to work with a sample dataset?  I tried
pointing longwell.properties the data directory of my Longwell TRUNK
area, but it did not work.
	- java2rdf in RDFizers, I get this when pointing to Lucene's compiled
class directory:
$ java -jar java2rdf.jar ~/dev/lucene/build/classes/java
Processing folder: /Users/erik/dev/lucene/build/classes/java
Processing folder: /Users/erik/dev/lucene/build/classes/java/org
Processing folder: /Users/erik/dev/lucene/build/classes/java/org/apache
Processing folder:
/Users/erik/dev/lucene/build/classes/java/org/apache/lucene
Processing folder:
/Users/erik/dev/lucene/build/classes/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis
Processing class:
/Users/erik/dev/lucene/build/classes/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis/
Analyzer.class
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError
	- Welkin - well done!  It'll make more sense to me when I understand
RDF a bit more, but it's a nice visualization.
	- Charon - this looks like something we could really leverage with
Collex - allowing folks that have legacy low-tech archives to be
"collectable" somehow.  This may be a place of collaboration for us.
	- Lucene - Lucene 1.4 has been out for a while.  I notice that the
SIMILE projects are using 1.3.  I recommend upgrading to 1.4.3.  There
are some great new features in it, such as term vector support and
sorting of hits.  As well as co-author on Lucene in Action, I'm a
Lucene committer and if you folks run into any Lucene issues let me
know and I'd be happy to help.
Thanks and I look forward to lots of fun with the SIMILE tools and
learning lots from this brilliant community.
	Erik