Re: Comments on 'precedural approaches'

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:38:58 -0700

Danny Ayers wrote:
> On 4/27/05, Emmanuel Pietriga <Emmanuel.Pietriga_at_lri.fr> wrote:
>

>>The RDF/XML raw file is the source code. The XML parser can generate a
>>DOM tree or any other data structure that represents the XML infoset.
>>This infoset is equivalent to the AST. This means that RDF/XML+XSLT
>>works at the level of the AST, instead of working at the level of a
>>"semantically meaningful representation of the program". Wrong level of
>>abstraction (too low), thus conceptually defective approach.
>
> Is it then also conceptually defective to work on object-oriented
> representations of the graph? Objects/members/methods aren't
> semantically meaningful at the RDF graph level either.

I have a problem with naming technologies 'conceptually defective' or
'wrong': it doesn't buy us anything and creates animosity and a sense of
rivalry that we simply don't need.

I would simply say that the use of XSLT as to manipulate RDF is
'suboptimal' to other methodologies that work against the RDF infoset
directly instead of working on its XML infoset projection.

Nobody can honestly claim that XSLT is 'optimal' for RDF manipulation,
not even the XSL WG.