Re: Longwell display of RDF / configuration question

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:40:03 -0400

Jon Crump wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As Stefano intimated, I've been a little intimidated by the
> technicalities of the discussion of late. While I do not find it
> uninteresting, most of it goes flying over my head.

I'm sorry to hear that and I apologize for that. Now that all
discussions moved to another list, I hope that others will feel free to
ask general questions again.

...like you did! great! :-)

[see my answer below]

> I hope you will forgive me for interjecting with a practical and perhaps
> naive question about longwell and RDF.
>
> I have several RDF models with dissimilar metadata. In one I have
> statements like this:
>
> <uwdl:Record_A> <dc:location> 'china'.
> <#china> <dc:title> 'China'; <dcterms:isPartOf> 'asia'.
> <#asia> <dc:title> 'World'; <dcterms:isPartOf> 'world'.
>
> In a different model where it was not convenient to construct this
> hierarchy I have the statements:
>
> <uwdl:Record_B> <dc:location> 'china'.
> <#china> <dc:title> 'China'.
>
> Q - The question:
>
> As it stands, Knowle will tell me in the case of either Record_A or
> Record_B that <#china> <#isPartOf> <#asia>, but the Location facet list
> for 'Asia' will only include instances of Records which explicitly
> contain <dc:location> 'asia'.
>
> What would it take to persuade longwell to aggregate these in the
> browser facet 'Location'?

This comes up often enough to require a FAQ entry, I suppose.

The problem is that facet values need to be URIs, not literals, in order
to be shown as a restriction (otherwise, there is no way to 'reference'
an isolated literal uniquely!)

So, you have to change

   uwdl:Record_B dc:location 'china'.
   #china dc:title 'China'.

in

   uwdl:Record_B dc:location #china .
   #china dc:title 'China' .

that should do it.

> It is certainly possible that I've framed the question poorly, but any
> insight you might have would be helpful.

Oh, not at all.

Hope this helps.