Longwell display of RDF / configuration question

From: Jon Crump <jjcrump_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

As Stefano intimated, I've been a little intimidated by the technicalities
of the discussion of late. While I do not find it uninteresting, most of
it goes flying over my head.

I hope you will forgive me for interjecting with a practical and perhaps
naive question about longwell and RDF.

I have several RDF models with dissimilar metadata. In one I have
statements like this:

<uwdl:Record_A> <dc:location> 'china'.
<#china> <dc:title> 'China'; <dcterms:isPartOf> 'asia'.
<#asia> <dc:title> 'World'; <dcterms:isPartOf> 'world'.

In a different model where it was not convenient to construct this
hierarchy I have the statements:

<uwdl:Record_B> <dc:location> 'china'.
<#china> <dc:title> 'China'.

Q - The question:

As it stands, Knowle will tell me in the case of either Record_A or
Record_B that <#china> <#isPartOf> <#asia>, but the Location facet list
for 'Asia' will only include instances of Records which explicitly contain
<dc:location> 'asia'.

What would it take to persuade longwell to aggregate these in the browser
facet 'Location'?

It is certainly possible that I've framed the question poorly, but any
insight you might have would be helpful.

Jon
J.J. Crump
Dept. of History 353560
University of Washington