Re: isPartOf inferencing, was Longwell display of RDF...

From: Jon Crump <jjcrump_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:49:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Ryan Lee wrote:

> The inferencing we do is limited to deducing subclass relationships and
> making deductions that follow from owl:sameAs relationships, but nothing
> else. We've found the inferencing code available to Longwell 1.x to be too
> inefficient to be useful beyond what it now does, and even that can be a long
> wait.

Ryan,

Cwm is definitely the deep end for one with little programming experience,
but it has already repaid some experimentation. I've subscribed to
public-cwm-talk and will take my importunate queries over there.

As to Longwell, do your comments imply that its development will be slow
or did you mean simply that longwell is slow to process such deductions?

Its not clear from the on-line resources what the future plans for
longwell might be. Are there plans to expand its inferencing code a la
cwm? Plans for additional browsing or searching features; exposing more of
Lucern's searching capabilities (boolean operators etc) to the end-user
for example? Will there be (bearing in mind the exigencies of open-source
projects) a Longwell 2.0? And on another front, could you clarify, for the
naive user, what sort of "integration with DSpace" is ultimately intended?

I should mention that I'm evaluating longwell and other elements of the
Simile project with an eye toward providing the end-user (library patron)
a seamless and flexible interface for browsing and querying disparate
collections of digital resources. To this end, longwell seems just the
ticket. Could members of the development group comment (at their leisure)
on future plans for longwell from this perspective?

Again, many thanks for all your good work.
Jon
J.J. Crump
Dept. of History 353560
University of Washington