Re: Piggybank autolaunch/autosave

From: David Huynh <dfhuynh_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:56:37 -0400

Cefn Hoile wrote:

> Is there a mechanism to auto-launch Piggybank scripts when a URL
> match is made (a la Greasemonkey) as opposed to requiring users to
> notice the data coin and manually activate it?

No. I believe both modes are desirable.

> Equally is there a mechanism to auto-save the model which a Piggybank
> script builds, as opposed to requiring users to notice the save
> button and manually activate it?

You can bookmark anything viewed in a temporary model and PB will try to
re-create it later when you browse to that URL. But no, there is no
mechanism to auto-save.

> A combination of these two mechanisms would be ideal for the
> application I am imagining at the moment. I could try some kind of
> hack to execute this (perhaps using Greasemonkey) but wondering if
> I've missed something in Piggybank.

Perhaps you could talk more about the application you're imagining?
Maybe other people here are interested in similar applications.

> Where should I be looking for this kind of information?
> (aside from going through the source of course, which is the next step)

PB actually has a very small feature set. Everything you can do you see
in the user's how-to list on the web site. :-)

As for source code, I'd suggest looking at

    piggy-bank/firefox/chrome/content/overlay.js

That's where things start. The Developer's Guide on the website also has
pointers to where things are in the codebase.

David